The Mikkelson Foundation
The Mikkelson Foundation Student
2014 Applications Must Be Received by Friday
April 11, 2014
Each year,The Mikkelson Foundation Scholarship is awarded to an
outstanding graduate of a Colorado high school who has been accepted to
pursue a course of study or instruction at an accredited college or
university granting undergraduate and/or graduate degrees. The
recipient will be a student who has demonstrated an ability to excel in
the academic disciplines of mathematics and science, who will major in
engineering, physical or biological sciences, or mathematics, and who
has the potential for substantial additional achievement after
In 2014, The Mikkelson Foundation will provide two scholarships of
$3000.00 each. The scholarship is renewable for up to a maximum of four
years providing that the recipient remains a student in good standing
at their college or university.
Applications must be received by the Foundation on or before April
11, 2014. The application package consist of the following:
- A complete transcript of the student’s academic record in high
school, including national standardized test scores.
- Three references from high school teachers, counselors,
employers, or activities directors. Be sure to tell your recommenders
that this must be received by April 11.
- Application form completed by student.
- An original personal essay.
Eligibility requirements for The Mikkelson
- The applicant must be graduating from a Colorado high school in
- The applicant will be studying engineering, mathematics, or
science (physical sciences, chemistry, or biology) at an accredited
four year college or university.
- The applicant will be beginning his/her studies in the fall of
- The applicant must have an unweighted GPA of at least 3.7.
- The applicant must have a cumulative SAT score of at least 1800
or a composite ACT score of at least 28.
Additional Information and Suggestions:
- Do not wait until the last minute.
- The deadline is absolute. The selection process begins the
morning of April 12.
- It takes time to write a good essay. Start early.
- Respect those from whom you ask for references. It takes time to
write a thoughtful recommendation, and you are not the only one asking.
- Overnight delivery services do not deliver to post office boxes,
and The Mikkelson Foundation does not accept deliveries other than at
our P.O. Box
- Fill out the entire application form.
- Be sure the most pertinent information is on the application form.
- It is OK to attach additional information, but do not expect the
committee to go searching for information.
- Choose your recommenders carefully.
- Be sure that the recommender is someone who knows you and your
- Give them plenty of time and maybe an occasional reminder.
- Make sure that all of the required elements are completed.
This is a highly competitive scholarship, with acceptance rates of
about 2% in recent years.
PDF format Application
in MS Word format
or write to:
The Mikkelson Foundation
P.O. Box 768
Monument, CO 80132-0768
View historical applicants' grades and