The Mikkelson Foundation
The Mikkelson Foundation Student Scholarship Program
2015 Applications Must Be Received by Friday April 17, 2015
Each year,The Mikkelson Foundation Scholarship is awarded to an outstanding graduate of a Colorado high school who has been accepted to pursue a course of study or instruction at an accredited college or university granting undergraduate and/or graduate degrees. The recipient will be a student who has demonstrated an ability to excel in the academic disciplines of mathematics and science, who will major in engineering, physical or biological sciences, or mathematics, and who has the potential for substantial additional achievement after graduation.
In 2015, The Mikkelson Foundation will provide two scholarships of $3000.00 each. The scholarship is renewable for up to a maximum of four years providing that the recipient remains a student in good standing at their college or university.
Applications must be received by the Foundation on or before April 17, 2015. The application package consist of the following:
- A complete transcript of the student's academic record in high school, including national standardized test scores.
- Three references from high school teachers, counselors, employers, or activities directors. Be sure to tell your recommenders that this must be received by April 17.
- Application form completed by student.
- An original personal essay.
Eligibility requirements for The Mikkelson Foundation Scholarship
- The applicant must be graduating from a Colorado high school in 2015.
- The applicant will be studying engineering, mathematics, or the natural sciences at an accredited four year college or university.
- The applicant will be beginning his/her studies in the fall of 2015.
- The applicant must have an unweighted GPA of at least 3.7.
- The applicant must have a cumulative SAT score of at least 1800 or a composite ACT score of at least 28.
Additional Information and Suggestions:
- Do not wait until the last minute.
- The deadline is absolute. The selection process begins the morning of April 18.
- It takes time to write a good essay. Start early.
- Respect those from whom you ask for references. It takes time to write a thoughtful recommendation, and you are not the only one asking.
- Overnight delivery services do not deliver to post office boxes, and The Mikkelson Foundation does not accept deliveries other than at our P.O. Box
- Fill out the entire application form.
- Be sure the most pertinent information is on the application form.
- It is OK to attach additional information, but do not expect the committee to go searching for information.
- Choose your recommenders carefully.
- Be sure that the recommender is someone who knows you and your accomplishments.
- Give them plenty of time and maybe an occasional reminder.
- Make sure that all of the required elements are completed.
This is a highly competitive scholarship, with acceptance rates of about 2% in recent years.
Application in PDF format Application in MS Word format
or write to:
The Mikkelson Foundation
P.O. Box 768
Monument, CO 80132-0768
View historical applicants' grades and test scores.